Green Beans With Bacon And New Potatoes
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 2 pounds fresh green beans
- 8 small new potatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut bacon into thirds on your clean meat cutting board.
- Cook the bacon pieces in a large sauce pan over medium heat for 5 minutes. Be sure to wash your hands after handling the raw bacon.
- Remove the skin from the onion. Scrub the onion and potatoes with a vegetable brush while holding under cold running water. Finely chop the onion on your produce cutting board. Add the onion to the sauce pan with the bacon and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Cut each new potato in half on the produce cutting board.
- Place the green beans into a colander. Run cold water over the green beans while rubbing each bean gently with your finger tips. Once clean, snap the ends off of the beans.
- Add the green beans and potatoes to the sauce pan. Add just enough water to cover the beans and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Add the salt and pepper, then cover the saucepan.
- Simmer about 1 hour or until the beans are tender. Stir occasionally and add more water if necessary to keep the beans covered.
Additional Food Safety Notes Related To This Recipe:
- Be sure the refrigerator is no warmer than 40 F.
- Always store raw bacon on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. Place the raw bacon package on a pan or a plate to catch any juices that may drip.
- When storing in the refrigerator, place fresh produce on separate shelves or in produce bins away from raw meats, poultry, and seafood.
- Clean and sanitize the cutting board before and after each use. It is a good idea to have two separate cutting boards in the kitchen. One can be used for raw meats, poultry, and seafood while the other is used for fresh produce and breads.
- Be sure to have a clean and sanitized sink before you wash your produce.
- Wash hands correctly after handling raw bacon. Moisten hands with warm water and apply soap. Rub hands together for 20 seconds. Don’t forget to use a soft brush to clean your nails and nail beds. Rinse hands and dry with a clean towel.
- When storing leftovers, divide into small portions and place into clean, airtight storage containers. Do not forget to label the container with the name and the date before putting in the refrigerator.
- Reheat the beans and potatoes to at least 165 F for at least 15 seconds before eating the leftovers.
Recipe Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/southernstyle-green-beans-with-bacon-and-new-potatoes-recipe/