Hitting the road for a picnic or cookout? Bring this flyer with you!
If you're on the move with food, remember these food safety tips:
- Bring soap to wash hands. Always wash hands before and after handling food. Soap and water is best - hand sanitizer will do if running water isn't available.
- Hot car? No coolers in the trunk! Transport coolers in the air conditioned passenger compartment, not in a hot trunk. On a hot day (+90 degrees F) don't let food sit in the car for more than 1 hour.
- Don't let food sit out! Perishable foods should not be left out of refrigeration for more than 2 hours - reduce that to just 1 hour on a hot day (+90 degrees F)!
- Pack plenty of ice. Pack lots of ice or ice packs in your cooler to keep food cold. Leftover food is safe only if the cooler still has ice in it. Otherwise, discard leftovers.
- Keep raw meat separate. Keep wrapped raw meat and poultry separate from cooked foods, fruits and vegetables.
- Use a food thermometer. Use a food thermometer to make sure your food is cooked to a safe internal temperature and not overcooked. You can't tell by looking!