Apple Onion Sausage Appetizer
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org
- 1 small onion
- 1½ tsp butter
- 2 tbsp apple jelly
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 lbs fully cooked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 medium apple
- ¾ tsp cornstarch
- 1½ tsp water
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Scrub the onion with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Chop the onion and place in a bowl.
- Scrub the apple with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Core the apple and slice it.
- Heat butter over medium heat in a large nonstick sauté pan. Add the chopped onions. Cook onions until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in apple jelly and brown sugar.
- Remove wrapper from the sausage and add to the sauté pan.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling uncooked sausage.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat until sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add apple slices to the pan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until apples are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl until smooth. Stir mixture into sauté pan and bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Serve warm.