Linda Gauthier and her team at Louisiana State University (LSU) hosted a Microbiology and Food Safety Camp from July 14-18, 2014 for 7th and 8th graders on the LSU campus.
During the camp, students:
- Constructed a giant microbe.
- Researched bacteria and made three dimensional models using yarn, Styrofoam, etc.
- Created food safety recipes cards with food safety tips for each ingredient and step of the recipe. Afterwards, they shared their recipes with other campers!
- Learned the science of cooking a hamburger.
- Designed a new package for food and created mock advertisements for their products.
- Created their own “most unwanted pathogens” poster.
- Visited a food engineering plant, the LSU Food Science Lab, and a microbiology lab.
The campers went home happy after a fun week learning about food safety and science! Linda has been teaching kids about food safety and science for over 30 years. Thanks for all of the hard work, Linda!