S’more Cookie Bars
Graham Cracker Cookie
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk only (save egg white)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 1.55-oz full-size milk chocolate bars
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp light corn syrup
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oven to 350 °F. Line 13×9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, extending over edges. Set aside.
- Combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, baking soda and salt in bowl. Set aside
- Beat butter, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl until creamy. Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla; beat until well combined. Slowly add flour mixture; beat until just combined. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling eggs and flour.
- Bake 26 to 30 minutes. Remove pan from oven and lay chocolate bars over cookie. Return to oven for 2 minutes. Using an off-set spatula spread the melted chocolate over the graham cookie layer. Let cool completely until chocolate is set.
- For the frosting, place about 1/2inch water into bottom pan of double boiler. Bring to boil over high heat. Combine 3/4 cup sugar,1/4 cup water, egg white, corn syrup, cream of tartar and salt in top of double boiler.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling eggs.
- Place mixture over rapidly boiling water (water should not touch bottom of pan); beat at highest speed with hand mixer 7 minutes or until mixture forms stiff peaks. (Do not overcook.) Remove from heat; add vanilla. Continue beating 2 minutes or until frosting holds deep swirls.
- Lift bars from pan using foil ends. Remove foil. Frost top of bars. Use kitchen torch to toast frosting. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes before cutting to allow frosting to set.
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org.