Corn Puppy Dogs
Recipe & Photo courtesy of Leslie Owens at HowtoBurnWater.com
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn, removed from the cob
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 6 hot dogs, cut in half
- 4 cups (32 oz) oil for frying
- Wooden skewers
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Scrub corn on the cob with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Remove kernels from cob.
- Preheat oil for frying in a deep stockpot to365°F. If using an air fryer, prepare according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, baking powder and mix to combine.
- Add the buttermilk, egg, and honey to the dry ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth. Fold in the raw corn kernels. Wash hands after handling raw egg.
- Cut the hot dogs in half and insert a wooden skewer into each hot dog. Dip hot dogs one at a time into the batter and place the coated hot dogs gently into the hot oil. Repeat this process without overcrowding the pot. Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw hotdogs and raw egg.
- Cook about 3-4 minutes until golden brown and the internal temperature of the hot dog reaches 140°F on a digital food thermometer. Remove from the oil and drain on clean paper towels. Let cool 3-4minutes before serving.