Grilled Pork Kebabs
Recipe & Photo courtesy of Leslie Owens at HowtoBurnWater.com
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 2-inch chunks
- ½ red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of one lemon (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried mint
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ lemon, quartered
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Scrub the onion and garlic with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Cut the onion into 1-inch pieces and mince the garlic.
- In a shallow sealable container, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, vinegar, mint, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cut the pork tenderloin into 2-inch chunks. Do not rinse raw meat.
- Add the pork and onions to the marinade. Wash cutting board, counter and utensils after touching raw pork. Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw pork.
- Refrigerate the pork, onion, and marinade mixture for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
- When ready to cook, remove the pork and onions from the marinade, and thread onto skewers, alternating the pork with the onions. Leave a small space in between to allow for even cooking. If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water first to prevent burning. Do not reuse marinades used on raw foods.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw pork.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the kebabs until the internal temperature of the pork reaches 145 °F on a food thermometer with a three-minute “rest time” after removal from the grill.
- Scrub lemon with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Garnish with lemon wedges.
- Serve with grilled red onion, eggplant, zucchini and/or pita bread. Scrub onion, eggplant and zucchini with a clean vegetable brush under running water before preparing.