Veggie Breakfast Skillet
Recipe and photo courtesy of HowtoBurnWater.com
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into medium pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped into medium pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped into medium pieces
- 1 8-oz container sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup salsa (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Gently rub bell pepper, zucchini and mushrooms under cold running water. Scrub onion and garlic with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Dry produce with a clean towel.
- Chop the vegetables into medium pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil.
- Add the bell pepper and onion and cook until the onion begins to soften, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and sauté, stirring occasionally for another 3 minutes. Then, add the mushrooms and allow them to cook down. The mushrooms will begin to brown once the water begins to evaporate.
- To the skillet, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in ¾ teaspoon salt, plus the paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper. Stir and cook 1 minute more.
- While the vegetables cook, get four small bowls and crack two eggs into each bowl. Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw eggs.
- Make four wells in the vegetable mixture and pour two eggs into each well. Season the eggs with salt. Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw eggs.
- Cover the pan and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook mixture until the eggs are set and reach 160 °F on a food thermometer.
- Serve with salsa.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave until they reach 165 °F on a food thermometer.