September is National Food Safety Education Month!
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, every year,
an estimated 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 million people) get sick, 128,000
are hospitalized, and 3,000 die from eating contaminated food.
Anyone can get sick from a foodborne illness (also called food poisoning).
Learn how to take steps to help prevent food poisoning, and show others how to keep food safe.
Participate in NFSEM
This month let’s commit to handling food safely at home and building safe recipes!
Ways you can participate:
- Register to attend “Ready, Set, Cook It Safe!” on Saturday, Sept. 18 at 11:30 a.m. EST. This virtual cooking event will benefit PFSE’s food safety education efforts.
- Watch the replay of the webinar “Food Safety Delivered: New Resources You Need National Food Safety Education Month” which unveiled the new food delivery campaign. CEUs are available!
- What’s your food safety IQ? This short quiz tests your knowledge of the food safety basics. Share on your social networks!
- Download the safe recipe cookbooks The Healthy Lunch and The Safe Recipe Cookbook. Share these recipes with your family and friends!
- Share a safe recipe on social media with the hashtags #NFSEM2021 and #foodsafety.
- Post a food safety tip or recipe video on social media with the hashtags #NFSEM2021 and #foodsafety.
- Use the Safe Recipe Style Guide to turn your favorite recipe into a safe recipe and send it to us! Your recipe could be featured on our website and on social media!
- Prepare a safe recipe in person or virtually with family and friends.
- Teach kids and teens how to build safe recipes with the virtual Safe Recipe Activity.
Food safety starts at home! Check out these free resources to help keep families healthy while cooking at home.