For each turkey apple:
- 1 Red or Golden Delicious apple
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, raisins, small colored gumdrops, or fruit ring cereal
- 7 to 8 mini-marshmallows
- 7 to 11 toothpicks
- 1 pimiento-stuffed green olive
- 2 whole cloves
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Gently rub apple under cold running water.
- Position apple so that it is turned on its side with the stem end tilted slightly up. Insert three toothpicks in middle of one side, flared out to act as “tripod” for turkey to stand on. Set apple aside.
- To make tail feathers: thread dried cranberries, raisins, small colored gumdrops, or fruit ring cereal onto 5 to 7 toothpicks and top each with a mini-marshmallow. Stick toothpicks on back of apple turkey towards stem end to resemble row of feathers, with mini-marshmallow end sticking up.
- To make head and neck: slide cranberries down one toothpick and top with stuffed green olive for head. Pull pimiento out slightly to simulate red wattle. Insert cloves on either side of olive for eyes. Insert decorated toothpick into end of apple opposite tail feathers.
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org.