Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Pound Cake
Recipe & Photo courtesy of Leslie Owens at HowtoBurnWater.com
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour + ⅛ cup for the blueberries
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 6 oz container fresh blueberries or ¾ cup of frozen blueberries
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 cup sugar + ⅓ cup sugar for the syrup
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the glaze
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1-2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8 ½ x 4 ¼ x 2 ½- inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Scrub the lemon with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Gently rub fresh blueberries under cold running water. Dry both on a clean towel.
- In a small bowl, toss together the blueberries and ⅛ cup of flour. Set aside. Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw flour.
- In another small bowl, whisk together 1 ½ cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup of sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Then whisk in the oil. It’s okay if the oil isn’t completely incorporated. Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw eggs.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet, whisking constantly until well combined.
- Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the blueberries, making sure all the ingredients are well incorporated. Do not eat raw batter.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes, until a cake tester or toothpick placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- In a small pan over medium-low heat, add the ⅓ cup of lemon juice and the remaining ⅓ cup of sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside to cool while the loaf bakes.
- Once the cake is done, allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Use a long sharp knife to make 6-8 cuts into the cake and pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake. Allow it to soak in and let the cake cool completely.
- For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon, as needed, so the glaze is thick but pourable. Pour over the cake and allow to set 5-10 minutes before serving.