Nutty Banana Bread Squares
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large whole egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 large, very-ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Grease and flour a 9″ x 13″ baking pan. Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat melted butter and sugar well with an electric mixer
- Add the egg and egg whites; beat on high speed for 1 minute. Wash hands with soap and water after handling eggs.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt together with a sifter or through a fine mesh strainer. Gently add the sifted dry ingredients to the butter sugar mixture.
- Beat the batter on low speed, just until mixed. Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw flour.
- Peel bananas and mash them with a potato masher in the empty bowl the flour mixture was in. Measure the vanilla extract and stir it into the mashed bananas. Pour the mashed banana mixture into the batter.
- Beat until just mixed.
- Pour the batter into the greased and floured baking pan.
- Sprinkle walnuts all over the top of the batter. Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw batter
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bread springs back. Let cool on cooling rack. Once cool, cut into 20 squares.
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org.