Red Velvet Cake Pops
- 1 15.25 to 16.5 oz box red velvet, devil’s food or your favorite cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup prepared cream cheese frosting
- 24 to 32 oz white or dark melting wafers or bark for coating
- 1 cup (6 oz) semi-sweet chocolate mini chips
- Colored sprinkles for decorating (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Prepare cake mix using water, eggs and oil according to package directions.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling eggs.
- Don’t eat raw dough or batter.
- Bake cake according to package instructions using a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Crumble cake into a large bowl. Add frosting and 1 cup morsels; stir until texture is similar to cookie dough. Scoop mixture by slightly rounded tablespoon; roll into 1 ½-inch balls. Place on parchment paper-lined tray.
- Freeze for 15 to 30 minutes or until firm (not frozen) or cover and refrigerate for a few hours or until firm.
- Melt candy coating according to package instructions. If balls were in freezer, transfer to refrigerator.
- Remove a few balls at a time from refrigerator. Dip tip of 1 (4-inch) lollipop stick into melted coating and then insert halfway into a cake ball. Repeat with additional lollipop sticks and cake balls, transferring to refrigerator to set up for 5 minutes.
- Once set, remove a few balls at a time from refrigerator. Dip each cake ball into melted coating, gently tapping off excess. Place on parchment paper-lined tray or in plastic foam block or cake pop stand. Dust with sprinkles or sprinkle with mini morsels. Tip: If you have extra melted coating leftover, drizzle over pops in a zig zag pattern to decorate.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until set.
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org.