Vegan Key Lime Pie
- 1-1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup oil (your choice)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 can coconut milk/coconut cream
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (about 8 key limes)
- Zest from key limes
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp citric acid
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 tsp agar powder
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Prepare crust by mixing all the crust ingredients until they are moldable like wet sand.
- Press crust mixture firmly into a pie tin and bake at 350 °F for 7 minutes. Set aside.
- Scrub key limes with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Squeeze to make ½ cup of key lime juice.
- Add all of the pie filling ingredients to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add agar powder to a small saucepan. Activate the agar powder by adding ⅓ cup of water. Cook over medium-high heat while whisking constantly until it becomes clear and thick.
- Scrape agar mixture into the blender. Blend everything together until smooth.
- Pour pie filling into the crust and chill until firm, at least 3 hours.
- Decorate pie to your liking, using key lime slices, almond miIk-based whipped cream and edible flowers (as pictured).
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org.