Chicken, Fruit & Nut Salad Sandwiches
Recipe & photo courtesy of Cole for the Young Chefs Recipe Challenge
- 1/3 cup refrigerated grilled chicken breast strips
- 3 tbsp diced apple with skin on
- 6 medium seedless red grapes
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries (50% less sugar)
- 2 tbsp toasted almonds
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp light salad dressing (mayo-type)
- 2 multigrain pre-sliced sandwich thins
- 2 tbsp chive and onion cream cheese spread
- ⅓ cup chopped romaine lettuce
- pinch of salt
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cut the chicken strips into ½-inch pieces and add them to a medium bowl. Wash cutting board and knife. Wash hands with soap and water.
- Scrub the apple using a clean vegetable brush under running water. Gently rub grapes under cold running water. Dry the apple and grapes with a clean towel.
- Cut the apple and grapes into small pieces and add to the bowl with the chicken. Chop the cranberries and almonds, and add them to the bowl.
- Season with a pinch of salt. Add the dressing and vinegar, and stir to combine.
- Separate sandwich thins and lightly toast to firm; cool for about two minutes.
- While the sandwich thins are toasting, gently rub romaine lettuce under cold running water, then pat dry with clean towels.
- Place sandwich thin bottoms on a clean work surface and spread each with 1 Tablespoon of cream cheese.
- Top sandwich thin bottoms with romaine leaves and then chicken salad in equal portions. Cover with sandwich thin tops.
- NOTES: Packages of fully-cooked grilled chicken strips can be found refrigerated in the meat department of supermarkets. The chicken salad can be made ahead and chilled in the fridge at 40 °F or below for an hour before making the sandwiches.