Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Recipe and photo courtesy of HowtoBurnWater.com
- 2 cups frozen, fully-cooked grilled chicken breast strips, cubed (or fully-cooked rotisserie chicken)
- 1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- ½ cup fresh or frozen chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup frozen chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 12-oz can evaporated milk
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen French-cut green beans
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 16-oz package refrigerated biscuit dough
- 1 egg, beaten
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Reheat the frozen chicken strips according to the package directions. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Wash counters, cutting board, and knife before handling raw produce. Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Gently rub celery under cold running water. If using fresh onion, scrub onion with a clean vegetable brush under running water.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add 1 Tablespoon oil. Then add the onions, celery, and carrots. Cook approximately 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the other ¼ cup oil. Once the oil is hot, sprinkle the flour and whisk to combine. Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw flour.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Then stir in the evaporated milk.
- Once the mixture starts to simmer, lower the heat to medium-low and add the chicken, peas, green beans, salt, black pepper, dried thyme, and cayenne pepper. Stir well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13” pan. We used a deep dish pie pan.
- Top with the biscuits and brush the biscuits with beaten egg. Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw eggs.
- Bake in the oven at 350°F until the internal temperature reaches 165°F on a food thermometer, approximately 20-25 minutes.