Chicken Veggie Stir Fry
Recipe courtesy of Reyanna and Braulio for the Young Cooks Recipe Challenge. Photo courtesy of Chef Leslie Owens.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 whole carrot or 1/2 cup baby carrots
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 2 tsp fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse the broccoli florets and garlic cloves under cold running water. Gently scrub the carrots, yellow and red bell pepper, and fresh ginger with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Dry with a clean towel.
- Thinly slice carrots, red and yellow bell pepper, and set aside. Finely mince the ginger and cloves, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, prepare the sauce by whisking together the cornstarch and water. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- On a separate cutting board, cut the chicken into medium-sized chunks. Do not rinse raw chicken.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw chicken.
- In a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Wash cutting board, counter, and utensils after handling raw chicken. Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook until the chicken reaches 165 °F on a food thermometer, about 3 to 5 minutes. Using a clean plate, remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil to the skillet.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, yellow bell pepper and red bell pepper. Stir constantly until crisp-tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet and mix well.
- Push the ingredients to the side of the pan and whisk in the sauce.
- Mix all the ingredients together until well combined. Bring to a low boil and cook for at least 1 to 2 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Serve over brown rice.