GonzBanzos Chickpea Burgers
Recipe and photo courtesy of Marcelo for the Young Cooks Recipe Challenge.
- 2 cups garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil or olive oil plus 1 tbsp for pan
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Italian-style bread crumbs
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place frozen vegetables in a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 2 minutes. The vegetables may still be partially frozen. They will be cooked completely in the finished chickpea burgers.
- In a blender or food processor, add vegetables, garbanzo beans, seasonings, ketchup, and oil. Pulse five to six times to mix.
- Add the water and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl. Add bread crumbs and eggs.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw eggs.
- Stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add the oil. Drop the mixture by large spoonfuls into the pan and flatten slightly.
- Cook the patties on one side for two minutes.
- Turn patties over and cook until internal temperature reaches 160 °F on a food thermometer.
- If using a whole cabbage, scrub it with a clean vegetable brush under running water before shredding.
- Serve the garbanzo bean burgers over shredded cabbage.
- Suggested toppings: Greek yogurt, light sour cream, or aioli mustard.
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers in shallow containers. Wrap or cover the food. Leftovers stored in the refrigerator should be consumed within 3 to 4 days.