Healthy Creamy Italian Chicken Skillet
- 4 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth (or use a dry white wine)
- 4 oz plain reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley for serving
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Scrub onion with a clean vegetable brush under running water.
- Season chicken breasts with the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. (Do not rinse raw poultry or meat.) Add to pan and sear for 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Wash hands with soap and water after handling uncooked chicken.
- Remove chicken breasts from the skillet to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. (They will finish cooking later.)
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining teaspoon olive oil to pan.
- Add diced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and sauté for 30 more seconds.
- Add chicken broth and cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Return the chicken breasts to the skillet, along with any accumulated juices, and turn to coat them in the sauce. Top the chicken breasts with the mozzarella cheese (about ¼cup for each one).
- Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 7-9 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165 ºF on food thermometer. (Exact cook time will depend on how thick your chicken breasts are.)
- Serve chicken breasts with extra sauce spooned over the top and enjoy!
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org