Lily’s Hawaiian Grain Bowl
Recipe courtesy of Lily for the "Young Cooks Recipe Challenge." Photo courtesy of Chef Leslie Owens.
For the Grain Bowl
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (tricolor quinoa is pictured)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 slices fresh pineapple
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime, quartered (for garnish)
For the Dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer. Transfer the quinoa to a medium pot and add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, scrub the pineapple, bell pepper, and lime with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Gently rub the zucchini and green onions under cold running water. Dry with a clean towel.
- Peel and slice the pineapple, and cut the zucchini into slices. Lightly brush with ½ tablespoon olive oil and grill on a grill pan over medium-high heat just until there are grill marks. Set aside.
- Remove the seeds from the red pepper and cut into bite-sized pieces. Cut off the root end of the green onion, then slice diagonally. Quarter the lime. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain the black beans. Set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, honey, soy sauce, lime juice, and rice vinegar. Set aside.
- Mix the quinoa with half of the dressing.
- Assemble the bowl by adding the quinoa mix first then topping with the grilled zucchini and pineapple. Cut the pineapple into bite-sized pieces, if desired. Then add the red bell pepper, green onion, and black beans.
- Drizzle the remaining dressing and garnish with lime.
- NOTE: Ingredients can be made ahead of time and mixed prior to serving.