Moroccan Chicken with Eggplant-Zucchini Ragout
- 1-1/2 to 2 lbs chicken leg quarters
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 small eggplant, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water and cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 medium zucchini, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water and cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 small onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water and diced
- 2 tbsp parsley, gently rubbed under cold running water and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine or water
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1/4 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In large skillet over medium high-heat, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Do not rinse raw poultry. Season leg quarters with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Add leg quarters to pan, skin-side down.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling uncooked chicken.
- Brown chicken, turning once,8 to 10 minutes per side. Remove chicken to plate and drain off all but 2 tablespoons oil. Add eggplant to hot pan and cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add remaining tablespoon olive oil, along with zucchini, onion and garlic. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Raise heat to high and add white wine to pan, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Add all other ingredients except parsley, and place chicken legs in mixture. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes or until cooked through and internal temperature reaches 165°F on a food thermometer.
- To serve, place some of the eggplant ragout onto plates, top with a leg quarter and sprinkle with parsley.
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org