Slow Cooker Mexican Lasagna with Barbacoa
- 4 lbs beef chuck roast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 3 dried guajillo peppers
- 3-4 chipotle chilis in adobo
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 16-oz jars salsa
- 12 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 15.5 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cup shredded jack cheese
- Sour cream, for garnish
- 1 avocado, chopped (optional)
- Queso fresco, crumbled (optional)
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place dried peppers into a bowl filled with water until covered. Soak 30-60 minutes until softened.
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Season chuck roast with salt and pepper. Heat a large cast iron pot over high heat. Add in olive oil. Sear chuck roast on all sides. Once seared, remove pot from heat and set aside. Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a blender, add soaked guajillo peppers, chipotle, garlic, broth, lime juice, cider vinegar, cumin, oregano, cloves, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Blend until smooth, adding more broth if necessary to thin it out. Taste and adjust seasoning by adding more salt, pepper, or lime.
- Pour sauce over chuck roast. Cover with the lid and cook for 3 hours, until meat is tender and the internal temperature reaches 145ºF on food thermometer.
- Use two forks to shred barbacoa.
- Gently rub cilantro under cold running water.
- Lightly spray the inner bowl of the slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread 1 cup of salsa on the bottom of the cooker.
- Place a single layer of tortillas on top of the salsa, cutting them if necessary to fit the crock pot and covering the salsa completely
- Place a layer of shredded barbacoa beef on top of the tortillas. Top with 1/3 each of the beans, onions, remaining salsa, and cheese.
- Add another layer of tortillas on top of the cheese. Repeat the layers two more times, beginning with beef and ending with cheese.
- Cover and slow cook on low for 3 hours.
- Served with a drizzle of sour cream, chopped avocado, queso fresco, and cilantro, if desired.
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org.