Smoky Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Corn Tostadas with Avocado Cream
Recipe & Photo courtesy of HowtoBurnWater.com
For the tostadas:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp water
- olive oil or avocado oil cooking spray
- 1 8-oz can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 8 corn tostada shells
- 2 16-oz cans refried black beans
For the avocado cream:
- 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Scrub sweet potatoes, avocado, lime and garlic with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Gently rub the cilantro under cold running water. Dry with a clean towel and set aside.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into ½-inch pieces. Add them to a microwave safe bowl and add the water. Cover and vent the bowl. Microwave the sweet potatoes for 3 to 5 minutes until the sweet potato pieces are tender and a knife goes in smoothly. Once cooked, drain any excess water.
- While the sweet potatoes cook, make the avocado cream. In a blender or smoothie blender, add the avocado, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, garlic and salt. Purée until smooth and pourable. If the mixture is too thick, mix in a little water. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil, 8-ounce can of black beans, and frozen corn. Stir to combine. Add the sweet potatoes, salt, paprika, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. Mix gently, being careful not to mash the sweet potatoes. Continue to cook the mixture over low heat until the mixture is heated through.
- Warm the refried black beans in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat the tostadas according to package directions.
- To assemble, spread 2 heaping Tablespoons of refried black beans over each tortilla. Top with the sweet potato mixture and drizzle with avocado cream.