Spaghetti Squash Pasta
Runner-Up in the Kids Category of the 30-Minute Meals Safe Recipe Contest! Delicious and vegetarian. Serve with steamed broccoli — you won’t miss the pasta! Recipe by Greg.
- Large pan
- Small bowl
- 1 spaghetti squash scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water
- 1 red bell pepper gently rubbed under cold running water and diced
- 1 sweet onion scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water and diced
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 shallot scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water and diced
- 2 lemons scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water and juiced
- 4 oz grated Parmesan cheese* *To make this recipe vegan, use nutritional yeast instead of Parmesan cheese.
- 6 large basil leaves gently rubbed under cold running water and finely diced
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, remove the seeds and place in the microwave and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until tender. Remove from the microwave and allow to cool.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add ½ Tablespoon olive oil, diced bell pepper and onion.
- Stir and add ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder. Cook until the onion and peppers are tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- While the onions cook, scrape the squash with a fork to make “spaghetti” and add to the pan when the onions are cooked.
- In a small bowl, combine the shallot, lemon juice, 2 Tablespoons olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder. Add to the pan and stir to combine.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org