Vegetable Pita Pizza
Recipe and photo courtesy of Lucinda and Lilly for the Young Chefs Recipe Challenge
- cooking spray
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1/8 green bell pepper
- 1/8 orange bell pepper
- 1 whole-wheat pita
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 5 black olives
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Gently rub basil and oregano under cold running water. Dry on a clean towel. Cut the basil into thin strips.
- Scrub bell peppers with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Dry with a clean towel. Cut the bell peppers into ¼-inch strips.
- Cut olives into ¼-inch slices.
- Place pita bread on the baking sheet.
- Spread tomato sauce to the edge of the pita using a spoon.
- Sprinkle oregano over tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle cheese over oregano.
- Add the bell peppers and olives as toppings.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Cool for two minutes, and garnish with fresh basil.