Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Bacon
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 lb thick cut bacon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp bacon drippings (Or add an extra ½ tablespoon of syrup and ½ tablespoon of oil)
- Salt and Pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Remove the bacon from the package. Chop bacon into small “bacon bits” pieces then sauté the bits in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat until browned and crisp.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw bacon. Wash cutting board and knife after touching raw bacon.
- After bacon is brown and crisp, remove from the skillet and set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon of drippings for the sweet potato marinade. Allow the remaining bacon fat to cool and then discard.
- Scrub sweet potatoes with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Cut sweet potatoes into approximately 1-inch cubes. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the maple syrup, vegetable oil, and drippings. Pour over the sweet potatoes and mix well to coat them. Lay the sweet potatoes out on a roasting pan. Do not reuse marinades used on raw foods. Roast for approximately 45minutes. At the 20-minute mark, stir them gently for even cooking.
- When the potatoes are fork tender, remove from oven. Toss bacon bits with the roasted sweet potatoes and spoon the mixture into a skillet or casserole dish. Place into the oven for about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org