Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- 3 lbs plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 yellow onions
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28-oz canned plum tomatoes, with their juic
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Gently rub fresh tomatoes under cold running water.
- In a bowl, toss the tomatoes, 1/4 cup of olive oil, salt and pepper. Place mixture on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- Scrub onion with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Gently rub fresh garlic under cold running water. Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Place a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and the butter. Sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, chicken stock, and oven roasted tomatoes (including the liquid on the baking sheet).
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Pass tomato soup through a food mill with the coarsest blade.
- When reheating leftover soup, reheat it until internal temperature reaches 165 °F on a food thermometer.
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org