Contest entry deadline is August 17, 2020 at 11:59 pm Eastern
Do your friends want to know “how did you make that?”
Are you passionate about promoting food safety?
Enter your best 30-minute meal recipe, along with a high-quality photo of your dish, between June 23 – August 17, 2020. Submit recipe here!
You might ask — what is a safe recipe? A safe recipe incorporates basic food safety steps. So when you — or anyone — uses the recipe, you’ll be reducing your risk of food poisoning. Our Safe Recipe Style Guide walks you through the process of writing a safe recipe.
How to Enter
- Develop an original Safe Recipe using the easy-to-follow instructions of the Safe Recipe Style Guide.
- Prepare your recipe and take a high-quality photo (300+ PPI).
- Go to the submission page to enter.
- Submit your entry (choose a category) and upload your recipe in PDF format along with a high-resolution (300+ PPI) image of the completed recipe.
One winner will be chosen from each of the four categories below for a cash prize of $50 AND the winning recipe will be featured in an online cookbook distributed to thousands of people through fightbac.org! Each category winner will be entered into the Grand Prize selection pool.
Qualified judges will choose a Grand Prize winner who will receive:
- A total $100 cash prize
- Feature in the safe recipes online cookbook
- AND see their winning recipe developed into a professionally-produced recipe video in English and Spanish
To be eligible for the contest, your submitted recipe must meet all of the following criteria:
- Recipes must be a main course that can be prepared in 30 minutes or less
- Recipes must incorporate all necessary steps from the Safe Recipe Style Guide
- Recipes must include a high-resolution (300+ PPI) image of the completed recipe
- Recipes must be the original work of the entrant
- Recipes should use ingredients readily available in most grocery stores across the United States all year
Click here for the Official Rules. Individuals are limited to two (2) entries.
Who Can Enter?
To enter the Safe Recipe Contest, you must be a U.S. resident and eligible in one of these four categories:
- BAC Fighters – Health and Food Safety Educators, Nutrition Educators, Dietitians, Teachers or Cooperative Extension agents
- Food Writers/Bloggers – You must have an active blog or social media platform where you promote/post recipes.
- Kids – Any youth ages 5 to 17. You must have a parent/guardian permission to enter.
- Employees of Food Retailers and Grocery Stores – Your employer must be a member of the Food Industry Association (FMI) or National Grocers Association (NGA).
All qualifying entries will be judged in the first round with the top two entries from each category moving on to the second round. The second round will determine the winners of each category. Each category winner will be entered into the Grand Prize selection pool with judges choosing the Grand Prize winner. All qualifying entries will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Taste: 25% – Is this recipe delicious from the first bite to the last? Does it have an interesting yet balanced flavor combination? Would you want to make this recipe over and over again based on taste alone?
- Visual Appeal: 25% – Does this recipe present beautifully on a plate or in a baking dish? Do your eyes make you want to eat this before you even smell or taste it?
- Creativity: 25% – Is this recipe an original idea or does it have a twist that makes it unique? Did it use common ingredients in an uncommon way? Was it fun to make?
- Crowd Appeal: 25% – Was it easy to prepare within thirty (30) minutes? Will home cooks be inspired to try it? Will the entire family enjoy this meal?
We look forward to seeing your safe, delicious recipes! Good luck!
The Story of Your Dinner recipe contest was made possible by the generous support from these sponsors: