Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Food thermometer
- Baking sheet
- 1-1/2 lbs large button mushrooms
- 1/2 lb ground pork sausage
- 1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 450 ˚F.
- Gently rub mushrooms under cold running water. Remove the stems from mushrooms, chop and set aside.
- In a skillet cook the ground pork sausage, stirring frequently, until internal temperature reaches 160 ˚F on food thermometer (about 8-10minutes).
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling uncooked sausage.
- Remove sausage from the skillet and drain leftover drippings into a bowl.
- In a skillet add 2 tablespoons of leftover drippings. Cook mushroom stems on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until tender and browned.
- Remove from heat and stir in sausage, breadcrumbs, and mozzarella cheese.
- Fill mushroom caps with the sausage mixture and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until the internal temperature reaches 160°F on a food thermometer.
- If desired, top the stuffed mushrooms with more mozzarella cheese and return to the oven just until the cheese has melted.
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org