Healthy Pumpkin Bread
- Vegetable oil or cooking spray
- 2-2/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups raisins (substitute sweetened dried cranberries for a tangy taste)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spray two 8 ½-by-4 ½-by 2 ½-inch loaf pans or 24 muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Mix sugar, canola oil, applesauce, pumpkin, eggs and yogurt all together until smooth.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling eggs.
- Stir together the flour, wheat germ, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling flour.
- Combine the dry mixture with the wet mixture. Stir until well combined. Add the raisins.
- Pour into prepared pans (fill muffin tins ⅔ full). Bake for 50 minutes (loaves) or 25 minutes (muffins).
Tip: This recipe freezes well as bread or muffins up to three months. Thaw at room temperature, in the microwave (about 15 seconds per muffin or slice), or slices in the toaster. This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org.