One Pan Pizza Pasta
Recipe & Photo courtesy of Leslie Owens at HowtoBurnWater.com
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 ounces mild or spicy Italian chicken sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 cup turkey pepperoni
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 8 ounces rotini or ziti pasta
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsps fresh basil, chopped
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat, add the Italian chicken sausage, breaking it up into pieces.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw sausage.
- Cook until browned and cook until it reaches 165 °F on a digital food thermometer, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat. Stir in ¼ cup of pepperoni and cook for 1 minute.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling pepperoni.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- To the skillet, stir in the salt, oregano, basil, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Allow to cook for 30 seconds.
- Add tomato sauce, water, and pasta. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked, about 12 to 14 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and top with shredded mozzarella and remaining ¼ cup of pepperoni. Place under the broiler and cook until melted and golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve immediately.