Peanut Butter Bananawich
Recipe and photo courtesy of Caitlin for the Young Cooks Recipe Challenge
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 whole-grain crackers
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Gently rub the banana under cold running water. Scrub lemon with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Dry with a clean towel.
- Peel the banana and cut it in half lengthwise. These are the ‘bread’ part of the bananawich (see photo).
- Add the lemon juice to a shallow bowl. Roll the banana slices in lemon juice to prevent browning. Pat the banana slices dry with a clean towel to remove excess lemon juice.
- Spread 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter on the bottom half of the banana. Top with remaining banana.
- Place the bananawich near the lower part of a plate to form a smile.
- Next, place the crackers near the top of the plate. Top each cracker with a dried cranberry so they look like eyes.
- Add a maraschino cherry for the nose.
- Use dried cranberries above the eyes to create eyebrows.
- Serve immediately.