Red Lentil Pasta with Fire-roasted and Sundried Tomatoes
Recipe and photo courtesy of HowtoBurnWater.com
- 1 8-oz box of red lentil pasta
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped into small pieces
- 5 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt, to taste (plus more to add to pasta water)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, to taste
- 1 28-oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sundried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups kale or baby spinach
- 1 tbsp oregano
- Nutritional yeast (or grated Parmesan), fresh basil or parsley, and pepitas or pine nuts, for garnish (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Salt the water and add the pasta. Stir and cook the pasta to al dente, according to the package directions. Drain.
- While the pasta cooks, scrub the onion and garlic with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Gently rub the kale or spinach under cold running water. Dry produce with a clean towel. Chop the onions and mince the garlic.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and onions. Cook until soft and translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, basil, oregano, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Slowly add the fire-roasted tomatoes and juices, crushing the tomatoes with a heavy spoon. Add the sundried tomatoes and vinegar, stirring to combine.
- Simmer the sauce for 10 to 15 minutes, until reduced by about one-third.
- Stir in the kale or spinach and cook until it begins to wilt.
- Once the pasta is cooked, add it to the sauce and stir to combine. Divide pasta among bowls and garnish with nutritional yeast, fresh herbs, and pepitas or pine nuts.