Strawberry Arugula Salad with Feta & Balsamic Vinaigrette
Recipe and photo courtesy of HowtoBurnWater.com
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 clove garlic, skin removed
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the Salad:
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 10 oz baby arugula
- 8 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse the garlic and strawberries under cold running water.
- Scrub the red onion with a clean vegetable brush under running water.
- Check the packaging on the arugula to be sure it was washed. If not, rinse the arugula under cold running water.
- Mince the garlic.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, add the minced garlic, Dijon mustard, honey, dried thyme, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and extra-virgin olive oil. Cover the jar and shake vigorously to mix the ingredients. This can be assembled ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator.
- Next, remove the stems from the strawberries and slice them in half.
- Cut the onion into thin slices.
- In a large bowl, add the onion, strawberries, baby arugula and feta cheese. Drizzle with approximately 1/3 of the vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Add more dressing, as needed, to lightly coat the entire salad.
- Serve immediately.
- Cover leftover dressing and store in the refrigerator at 40° or below.