Turkey Sausage & Egg Burritos
Recipe and photo courtesy of Jacob, Jaxon, and Taylor for the Young cooks Recipe Challenge.
- 4 whole wheat tortilla wraps
- 1/4 lb turkey sausage
- 1/4 onion
- 1/4 sweet bell pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- mild sauce or hot sauce (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Form the turkey sausage into a large patty and add to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw turkey sausage.
- While the turkey sausage cooks, scrub the onions and sweet peppers with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Dry with a clean towel.
- Cut the onion and bell pepper into small pieces.
- Cook the turkey sausage until the internal temperature reaches 165 °F on a food thermometer. Break the turkey sausage into small pieces.
- Mix in the onions and sweet peppers, and cook them, stirring occasionally until they soften.
- Adjust the heat to low.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl. Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw eggs.
- Whisk the eggs to break up the yolks. Then whisk in the milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet.
- Cook while stirring occasionally, until mixture temperature reaches 160 °F on a food thermometer.
- Scoop ¼ cup of egg mixture into the middle of each whole wheat tortilla. Spread it out in a long narrow line.
- Add 1/8 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese to each tortilla. Add 1 Tablespoon of mild sauce or hot sauce (optional).
- Fold the sides of the tortilla wrap over the filling, then fold up the ends to cover the filling. Serve immediately.