Recipe by Shawnte Loeri, PFSE Communications Associate
- 2 packs frozen meatless ground crumbles (follow package instructions)
- 8 oz lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 2 jars pasta sauce
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium green, red, or yellow pepper
- 1 or 2 packs shredded cheese (vegan cheese optional)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Jamaican Jerk seasoning (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Gently rub pepper and onion under cold running water.
- Chop the onion and pepper into small chunks.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil to skillet at medium high heat. Pour the frozen crumbles into the skillet.
- Cover skillet with a lid. Heat at medium high for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove lid. Heat an additional 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour all the sauce into the skillet with the browned crumbles. Add the chopped onions, peppers, and spices.
- Cook sauce for 4 to 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent, and the peppers softened. Remove from heat.
- Spread a little sauce in bottom of casserole or lasagna dish. Arrange one layer of uncooked lasagna noodles lengthwise (about 3 long noodles, edge may overlap, depending on your pan) over the sauce. Ladle a third of the remaining sauce over the noodles. Sprinkle a layer of a third of the shredded cheese on top of the lasagna sauce.
- Apply second layer of noodles, top it with half of the remaining sauce. Add half of the remaining shredded cheese.
- Finish with another layer of noodles. Spread the remaining sauce over the top layer of noodles and sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 °F until internal temperature reaches 165 °F on food thermometer, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Uncover and return to oven uncovered for 5 minutes to melt cheese on top (if needed)
- Let stand for 10 minutes and serve.
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org.