Veggie Garlic Herb Pasta
Recipe courtesy of A.D., M.F., S.G. & M.H. for the Young Chefs Recipe Challenge. Photo courtesy of Chef Leslie Owens.
- 1 lb whole-wheat pasta (bowtie, rotini, or farfalle)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small zucchini
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- water to cook the pasta
For the Garlic Herb Butter
- 8 tbsp softened butter
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (zest from 1 lemon)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 450 °F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Gently rub the zucchini and tomatoes under cold running water. Slice the tomatoes in half, and place them on one baking sheet in a single layer. Cut the zucchini into 2-inch sized pieces, and place them in a single layer on the second baking sheet.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the zucchini and tomatoes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper, and gently toss to coat the vegetables. Bake the veggies for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tomatoes are beginning to blister and turn brown.
- While the vegetables are roasting, bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to the box directions. Drain the pasta once cooked.
- Make the garlic herb butter in a medium bowl by combining the softened butter, lemon zest, garlic, fresh basil, fresh parsley, and the remaining salt and black pepper. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- Once the pasta is drained and the vegetables have been cooked, gently toss the pasta and roasted vegetables together. Stir in the garlic herb butter and Parmesan cheese. Mix until well combined and noodles are coated evenly.