Cauliflower Rice Gratin with Kale and Leeks
- large mixing bowl
- casserole dish
- Food thermometer
- 1 lb frozen cauliflower rice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen chopped kale
- 1 leek washed, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated fontina cheese, made from pasteurized milk
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Gently rub fresh produce items under cold running water. Blot dry with clean cloth towel or paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together kale, cauliflower rice, leek slices and salt.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and then whisk in the flour, until the butter is absorbed. Quickly whisk the milk in, breaking up the flour paste completely.
- Bring the milk sauce mixture to a slow boil, stirring constantly. When it reaches a boil, cook for 1 minute, still stirring, then remove from heat.
- Whisk ¾ cup of the Parmesan and all of the fontina into the milk sauce mixture until smooth. Carefully transfer to the mixing bowl with the vegetables and stir to coat vegetables.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to a casserole dish and top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 minutes. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165° F on food thermometer. Optional: Broil for an additional 5 or so minutes to get some nice color on the top.
- Allow to rest for ten minutes before serving.
- Top with chopped fresh dill.
This recipe was developed using the Safe Recipe Style Guide at SafeRecipeGuide.org