Safe Recipe Activity for Middle School Students
Now that you know more about the four food safety behaviors included in the Safe Recipe Style Guide: temperature, handwashing, cross-contamination and produce handling – Let’s try using the guide to create a safe recipe!
Follow the steps below to create a safe recipe:
- Choose one of the 5 “basic” recipes provided on this page. Download your chosen recipe as a Word document or access the Google Doc version and copy it to your Google Drive or download.
- Read the Safe Recipe Style Guide and tips for using the guide carefully.
- Edit your “basic” recipe by adding the steps from the Safe Recipe Style Guide that apply.
- Upload your completed recipe as a Word Document or PDF in the form at the bottom of this page.
Basic Recipe #1: Vegetarian Lasagna
Basic Recipe #2: Breakfast Quiche
Basic Recipe #3: Turkey Burgers
Basic Recipe #4: Chicken Pepper Bake
Basic Recipe #5: Pesto Salmon and Veggies
Safe Recipe Style Guide
Tips for Using the Safe Recipe Style Guide:
- The Safe Recipe Guide lists steps to add to your recipe to improve food safety. Use the wording from the guide as closely as possible when adding food safety steps to your recipe
- Include the step on temperature every time meat, poultry, seafood, or eggs are being cooked. Be sure to use the Safe Minimal Internal Temperatures chart below to find the safe temperature for that food.
- Include the step on handwashing at the beginning of the recipe and after each touch of raw meats, poultry, seafood, or eggs.
- When the recipe asks the user to place raw meats, poultry, seafood or eggs on a surface such as a countertop, serving plate or cutting board, include the step to wash the surface after the touch with the raw ingredient.
- If the recipe includes a marinade that is used to baste or marinate raw or cooking meat, poultry, or seafood, include the step “Do not reuse marinades used on raw foods.”
- If the recipe uses raw poultry or meat include the step “Do not rinse raw poultry or meat” at the start of the preparation process for that food item.
- If the recipe includes any type of produce (fresh fruits & vegetables) include the appropriate steps on rinsing produce when the ingredient is first introduced in the recipe.